Water, the "universal solvent"?




Did you know water is a solvent?

First, what is a solvent?

1: A solvent is a substance that dissolves a solute, resulting in a solution.

2: That dissolves or can dissolve Water is capable of dissolving a variety of different substances, which is why it is such a good solvent. In Alchemy, water is called the "universal solvent" because it dissolves more substances than any other liquid. It means that wherever water goes, either through the ground or through our bodies, it takes along valuable chemicals, minerals, and nutrients.

So when rain water falls from the clouds and mixes into the soil, it holds the incredible power to dissolve rock into trace minerals making it readily available for plants as nutrient. Within this process plants minerals then become ionic trace substances which help feed and grow a plant. Water also has the ability to pull certain plant chemicals from the leaves such as when we make tea. This could range from plant colors, phenols, to minerals and water soluble vitamins. Already we can see the power of water as a solvent that must be respected and observed with intelligence.

Further we can observe that rushing water within nature can literally carve out and smooth large rock in time, thus changing the environment it penetrates.

Since we now understand waters amazing abilities... what could it possibly be doing to our bodies. I would hypothesize that when we intake large amounts of water, or too often, it too may have similar affects upon our bodies pulling nutrient and vitamin from our system. There is such a thing that states though water is important to our health, too much water could be potentially fatal.


In Ayurveda it is also suggested to not consume water too often. They also suggest that the water be consumed warm or room temperature. Other practices include boiling the water first to make it lighter and more digestible. Ayurvedic practitioners recommend that we sip our water throughout the day for improved hydration.


But why?


It's interesting to observe that when we consume large amounts of water too frequently that our bodies seem to turn on the faucet. We constantly find ourselves having to urinate more often than what would be considered normal. Some people have even reported online of still being dehydrated or with cotton mouth symptoms despite their increased consumption of this liquid.

Or after working out intensely find it hard to rehydrate even hours later. Is this a clear indication that water in this instance is not doing its job in hydration?


If water as a solvent and has the ability to pull from and take away from what it interacts with, is it possible that even the recommended 8 cups a day of this 'universal solvent" could be detrimental to our health?


I could imagine so. Be wise my friends.



7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All